Have You been watching the Major League Baseball Playoffs?
The playoffs is the true test of every pitcher’s mental toughness. This is where the legends are made.
It is also where you see some pitchers mentally lose it.
So How do the Great Pitchers do it?
- Great Pitchers Acknowledge the Pressure. They don’t pretend that it is not there. They know what is at stake and focus on what they can control.
- Great Pitchers Embrace the Pressure. The great pitchers want the responsibility of being on the mound. They treasure the opportunity of pitching against the best players in the world. They want the RING.
- Great Pitchers React Positively to the Pressure. The great pitchers take the pressure and turn it into the ultimate competition. The pressure is why they play the game. Their motivation is clear, Just Win, period.
Sounds Simple Enough Doesn’t it?
Well, it’s not quite that simple.
Lets take a look at what it takes to develop mental toughness.
Mental Toughness is more than just a personality trait.
It is a culmination of years of practice and patience. It is a result of training to be successful and learning from their failures.
The best pitchers understand what it takes to be great and long for the opportunity to test their preparation against the best players in the world.
So, How Can You Develop Mental Toughness?
- Trust Your Talent
- Out Work Everyone
- Have a Winner’s Attitude
- Be Psycho Competitive (Hate to Lose)
- Have a Mental Pitching Game Plan ( Develop a Confident Pitching Personality)
- Learn Arm Healthy, Ground Up Pitching Mechanics
- Have a Detailed Strength and Conditioning Program
- Be a Student of the Game (Learn How to Pitch)
- Be Coach-able
- Be a Great Teammate
- Expect Success (Learn from Your Failures)
True Mental Toughness comes when your Confidence is greater than your Fears.
So How Mentally Tough are you?