Can You handle the pressure?
You always hear coaches talking about a pitcher’s poise and composure. Your poise and composure is defined by how well you handle yourself on the mound.
The way you mentally handle the pressure that comes with pitching will go along way into how successful you will be.
Here is what coaches and scouts are looking for.
- Do you pitch confidently?
- How do you react when a fielder makes an error?
- How do you pitch when you don’t have your best stuff?
- How do you deal with the umpires?
- Are you easily distracted or lack concentration?
- Do you want the ball with the game on the line?
- Are you mentally tough?
Be Honest with yourself, how do you measure up?
There are 3 Keys to Pitching with Poise.
- Preparation. Do you do everything you can do to mentally and physically prepare to pitch. You have to have a detailed plan so you know what it is going to take to be successful.
- Trust. Do you Trust your preparation? There is only one true way to build confidence, You have to trust your talent and your ability. You have to trust your pitching plan. You have to trust your coaches and teammates. Trust, I believe is the biggest key.
- Pitching Mound Routine. You need to have a pitching mound routine. It is what your physically do and what you mentally think when you are on the pitching mound. It should not be left for chance. Every time you step on the pitching rubber you should have routine that you go through before every pitch. It will help you focus and control your breathing.
Become a student of the game.
Know why you do what you do.
Trust Your Preparation and Your Pitching Mound Routine.
As I write this I am watching the Braves Bullpen have a mental meltdown in the biggest game of the season.
It’s the bottom of ninth,the score is tied, there are 2 outs and the bases are loaded.
DO YOU WANT THE BALL?